Re: automake 1.4e, 1.4g: Depcomp does not get installed

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: automake 1.4e, 1.4g: Depcomp does not get installed
Date: 26 May 2001 00:07:10 -0600

>>>>> "Maciej" == Maciej W Rozycki <address@hidden> writes:

Maciej> This fixes the configure-time error, indeed, but is it
Maciej> correct?  I believe dependencies should only be controlled by
Maciej> the "no-dependencies" setting in AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS and thus my
Maciej> fix is correct and your one is doubtful.

Maciej> Note a related problem is without my change there is no way to
Maciej> automatically update depcomp, as it's possible for all other
Maciej> files.

Here is what I think is going on.  I think the code in depend.m4 can
be run even when dependency tracking is irrelevant.  On the other
hand, I think an automake-generated Makefile.in will only actually
invoke or require depcomp when it is really possible for it to be used
at build time.  That is why I think the logic controlling the
invocation of depcomp should also control when depcomp is required.

Furthermore I think this is what is implemented.

If there is a case I've missed I am willing to address it.  But I
don't see one right now.  Do you have a concrete bug produced by the
current code?

Tom