Re: Suggest check newness of "missing" etc

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Suggest check newness of "missing" etc
Date: 26 May 2001 00:13:48 -0600

>>>>> "Kevin" == Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

Kevin> I think it'd be good if automake checked its support files like
Kevin> "missing" and "ansi2knr.c" are up-to-date, not just that they exist.

I agree, but I don't think we should put this in 1.5.
Could you submit a PR for this?

Kevin> A warning if they differ from the /usr/share/automake versions
Kevin> would probably be enough, since there's at least a chance of
Kevin> intentional local modifications.

For some files such local modifications are actually common.  For
instance this happens with config.guess and config.sub.

Another problem is that this makes the version skew problem worse for
projects that check in derived files.  Well, it might.

Anyway, I do agree this is something worth solving.

Tom