Re: SUBDIRs and alternate names for "Makefile"

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: SUBDIRs and alternate names for "Makefile"
Date: 30 May 2001 08:25:53 -0600

>>>>> "Harlan" == Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> writes:

Harlan> I have an automake/autoconf application where the auto*
Harlan> generated stuff has to co-exist with a different "make"
Harlan> application, and cannot use [Mm]akefile for the names of the
Harlan> generated targets.

Harlan> I figure I can "subvert" the problem by using fake targets to
Harlan> generate the builds in the subdirectories using "cd foo &&
Harlan> $(MAKE) -f Makefile.boot", but is there a better way?

If all the Makefiles, including the top-level one, are named the same,
you could try putting this into each Makefile.am (say via a configure
sub):

    AM_MAKEFLAGS = -f Makefile.boot

All the names have to be the same because sometimes an
automake-generated Makefile will invoke $(MAKE) to run a different
local target, and that invocation will also use AM_MAKEFLAGS.

Tom