Re: cygwin libtool breakage

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: cygwin libtool breakage
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:24:22 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Collins" <address@hidden>

<address@hidden>
> Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 11:25 AM
> Subject: Re: cygwin libtool breakage
>

> > On Saturday 02 June 2001  5:43 pm, Robert Collins wrote:
> > > Scratch my prior problem: adding AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL to
> configure.in
> > > (missed that step in the autobook ) worked wonders.
> >
> > :-o
> >
> > > however, back to the failing tests.
> > >
> > > the first failure, demo-make.test fails because ar is called with
no
> > > object files.
> >
> > There was a bug in ltmain.in for a day where I had mismerged the
> > pic-objects-in-.libs patch, perhaps you are seeing this.  Anyway,
with
> > freshly setup.exe'ed cygwin-1.3.2 and a freshly pservered libtool
> HEAD, I get
> > the following:
>
> > address@hidden ~/libtool$ export CC=gcc
>
> I suspect my nothaving run this as much as anything. ltmain was
working
> for me on a test hellolib pacakge.
>

> This is what I get now: - unable to make hell-static -. I'm running
> automake CVS HEAD - could that be related?
>
> Rob
>
> $ make check TESTS='demo-static.test demo-make.test' VERBOSE=1
> Making check in .
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/libtool/build'
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `check-am'.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/libtool/build'
> Making check in libltdl
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/libtool/build/libltdl'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/libtool/build/libltdl'
> Making check in doc
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/libtool/build/doc'
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `check'.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/libtool/build/doc'
> Making check in tests
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/libtool/build/tests'
> make  check-TESTS
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/libtool/build/tests'
> === Running demo-static.test
> = Running make distclean in ../demo
> make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/libtool/build/demo'
> test -z "hell.exe hell.static helldl.exe" || rm -f hell.exe
hell.static

here's the cause of the failure:
automake (CVS HEAD) is making rules from bin_PROGRAMS = hell hell.static
hell.exe from hell
hell.static from hell.static

changing bin_PROGRAMS to hell_static fixes this - we get rules for
hell.exe
hell_static.exe

so I suspect there is a broken test for .exe in automake somewhere (ie
just checking for a . in the file component, not for .exe).

That change in the Makefile.am allows those two tests to pass. I'm
taking this experience onto the next tests ;]

Rob