Regarding automake and autoconf

From: Sreedharan, Sreekant
Subject: Regarding automake and autoconf
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 18:11:48 -0400

Hi,
    I have a problem that I thought someone might answer.

   I have a cross platform library, that where source is organized into
platform specific code and native code in seperate directories. The
following is the directory tree for a module called os for example:
       \os
       \os\portable
       \os\unix

   I want to compile the source files in 'portable' and 'unix' and then
create the shared file 'libos.la' which has both 'portable' and 'unix' code.
   How do I do it? Automake does not allow source code to reside in a
different directory other than the one in which you have the makefile.am.
   My workaround is - I have 3 makefile.am, one in each directory. But if I
build a shared object in portable and unix as libos_portable.la and
libos_unix.la, it won't work either. What I wanted to do ideally was to just

build libos.la in the  os directory.
   What is the workaround to build files from different directories to one
single shared object?
   Secondly, how would I ogranize source code in different directories and
the make files in totally seperate directories?

Sreekant Sreedharan
Technical Architect
SER Solutions (formerly Portal Connect)
555 Herndon Parkway