Re: if (! defined $configure_vars{'YACC'})

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: if (! defined $configure_vars{'YACC'})
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 09:54:22 -0700

Tom Tromey wrote:

> This bug report doesn't really have enough information in it for me to
> respond to it.  Nevertheless I will try.
>
> Are you angry because automake tries to make sure that YACC is defined
> as a configure variable?

I am not angry.  I was.  It was the end of a long session.  Sorry.

> Would you rather have it check to see if
> YACC is any sort of variable?  That might be reasonable, though it
> might be difficult under the present circumstances.  Automake's
> configure-scanning machinery is fairly primitive right now.  A future
> version will use autoconf's trace feature, which ought to make things
> more robust.
>
> If you are using yacc rules in automake, and you have a macro which
> purports to look for yacc, but you do not set the `YACC' output
> variable, then your Makefile.in will be broken.  Automake requires
> YACC to be defined.  This part at least ought to work correctly if
> your AG_PROG_BYACC does AC_SUBST(YACC).  As far as I know automake
> does not have a hard requirement for AC_PROG_YACC.
>
> Tom

To my uneducated eyes, the conflict and my resolution for it
are here:

        if (/AG_PROG_BYACC/)
        {
            $configure_vars{YACC} = $filename . ':' . $.;
        }
        if (/AC_PROG_(F77|YACC|RANLIB|CC|CXXCPP|CXX|LEX|AWK|CPP|LN_S)/)
        {
            $configure_vars{$1} = $filename . ':' . $.;
        }

This is my macro:

AC_DEFUN(AG_PROG_BYACC,
[missing_dir=ifelse([$1],,`cd $ac_aux_dir && pwd`, $1)
AC_CHECK_PROGS(YACC, byacc yacc 'bison -y', "$missing_dir/missing yacc")])