Re: System configuration during install

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: System configuration during install
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 17:33:17 -0500

Hi,

"Lawrence, David (STEI)" <address@hidden> writes:
> I am confiscating a large project to autotools.  I would like to
> know if there is a recommended means of adding a daemon to the
> etc/rc.d/init.d directory and then running chkconfig to add the
> daemon to run during init.

I think thats a lot beyond the scope of Automake.  Anyway 'chkconfig'
appears to be a Redhat-only tool, and /etc/rc.d/init.d is almost
definitely a Redhat peculiarity -- so it isn't the right abstraction
if you want your package to be portable, even to other Linux
distributions.

> I know how to do it in a script, do the autotools have a specific
> way it is recommended to add it to make install?

AFAI know, the only "system integration" that happens on a standard
'make install' is the invocation of 'install-info' to regenerate the
'dir' file in $infodir.

You can always put in an 'install-exec-hook' to do the postprocessing.
However, I don't think you'll be doing any favours to packagers (like
maintainers of RPM or DEB packages).  Also, people may not like 'make
install' changing the boot-time behaviour of a machine, and/or may not
have permissions to modify the boot-time settings.

I would suggest putting in a 'setup-boot' target to do this, and
ask people to explicitly invoke that rule to integrate your program
into the boot setup.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden