RE: System configuration during install

From: Lawrence, David (STEI)
Subject: RE: System configuration during install
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:12:02 -0700

Raja,

I appreciate and agree with the desire to make a portable source project.
That is what I want to do, at least within the various flavors of Linux and
Unix.  I inherited a project that was Red Hat specific and that is where my
non-Windows experience lies.  I did not mean to offend by offering the
example, I was only trying to outline my desire within the terms I
understood best.

My understanding (which may be inaccurate) is that Red Hat follows a Unix
System V init sequence, so I had felt that having the script used to launch
the daemon in /etc/rc.d/init.d and setting up startup and kill entires in
the various run levels was at least portable to other System V
implementation.  I am taking from your response that this is not the case or
may be too constraining.

If possible, I would like to support the widest range of systems possible
with the constraint that I don't as yet understand how they vary.  Would you
be able to suggest a reference that I could review about portable
configuration techniques for adding and removing dameons to a system's
initialization process?

I would think that other developers of system daemons must have already
faced this issue when porting to autotools.  Maybe you could also suggest a
project I could inspect that needs to perform this function?

I appreciate any further insight you can share.

Thanks,

David G. Lawrence
Smart Technology Enablers, Inc.
1121 Rancho Drive