Re: DEPDIR not set by current CVS Automake

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: DEPDIR not set by current CVS Automake
Date: 14 Jul 2001 14:00:29 -0600

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Boehne <address@hidden> writes:

Robert> A related qestion is, can I count on a
Robert> previous installation being replaced with a new one if I do:
Robert> make
Robert> make uninstall
Robert> make install
Robert> after configuring the new version?

Unfortunately not.  Any sort of change might occur between two
revisions of a package.  For instance, this year we changed how
automake is laid out.  The new uninstall only uninstalls the current
package, not older ones.

This is a fundamental flaw in `uninstall' -- if you want it to work
then you have to keep your old configured tree around.

There are situations where uninstall is useful, but package
maintenance isn't one of them.  For that you need to investigate the
many packaging tools.  Some, like RPM or dpkg, are a bit heavy.
Others are fairly light weight and more suited to managing (e.g.)
/usr/local on non-free platforms like Solaris or HP-UX.  Unfortunately
I forget what the popular ones are called :-(

Tom