RE: depcomp problem [Fwd: Trying to compile latest CVS on old SC Ounixw

From: Cameron, Steve
Subject: RE: depcomp problem [Fwd: Trying to compile latest CVS on old SC Ounixware 2]
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:18:39 -0500

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with automake (or,
output of automake I suppose) while trying
to build CVS.  I'm trying to build CVS on
SCO unixware 2.1.2.  I checked out the
CVS source like this:

echo ':pserver:address@hidden:/home2/cvsroot AIbdZ,' >>
~/.cvspass
chmod 600 ~/.cvspass
export CVSROOT
mkdir tmpdir
cd tmpdir
cvs -z3 co ccvs

(Luckily I have an older version of CVS already built.)

Then:

cd ccvs
./configure
make

Making all in lib
        source='argmatch.c' object='argmatch.o' libtool=no \
        depfile='.deps/argmatch.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/argmatch.TPo' \
        depmode=none /bin/sh ../depcomp \
        ../compile cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../src -I../src      -g
-c `test -f argmatch.c || echo './'`argmatch.c
compile: no `-o' option seen
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
UX:make: ERROR: fatal error.
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
UX:make: ERROR: fatal error.
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
UX:make: ERROR: fatal error.

The little "compile" script complains that there is no "-o" option.
(If there were a -o option, the SCO compiler would complain, so this
is probably intentional.)

I've gone over this on the address@hidden, but it seems to be an
automake problem and Derek Price, one of the CVS maintainers,
suggested I try here.  Previously there was some discussion here
on address@hidden about this problem which resulted in the
suggestion to add  AM_PROG_CC_C_O to into configure.in, which
appears to have been done, but resulted in the above.  If
there's any more information I can provide that would help,
I'd be glad to try to do so.

Thanks for any help.

-- steve