Re: "make dist" calls "autoheader" ? duh...

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: "make dist" calls "autoheader" ? duh...
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:37:10 +0200

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> Actually, the first build after each run of aclocal will trigger
> this (in your story that would be `make', not `make dist', so
> maybe I'm commenting something else :)).

sadly, you do :))
auto:
   aclocal && autoconf && autoheader && automake
cross-make.sh auto
configure && make && make dist AUTOHEADER=false
... booom!!

(as a side-note, you know that cross-make.sh from libsdl.org, and
 I just configure newstuff autotools to end up in local/cross-tools)

>  gd> to go a few rounds calling with "make dist AUTOHEADER=false" in old'
>  gd> system mode, may be you can see it too.
>
> BTW, maybe you will want to use a my-distcheck target that make
> a build with all AUTO* variable to false (like what is done in
> fileutils) to make sure your users won't ever get such an error.

it's no problem if autoheader would simply fail and exit (like it
did before) but what has making me mad that's the almostzero-size
config.h.in that is silently put into the tarball. (Mis)using
the am_maintainer_mode option has proven to be a good path to
let things work out better. After a couple of tries, I have now
chosen to overwrite with a value that let's ME continue to work
with the project even if I hit again the problem
AUTOHEADER="sleep 99; true ERROR: AUTOHEADER CALLED BUT NO MAINTAINER-MODE

as a side-note:
Actually, I did jump on this problem only while checking why
the rpm-builds did fail, and know what, the rpm-system puts a
whole lot of stuff on top that could be broken then or else. So
it took me a good peek to see it is in the dist-target itself.

rpm: dist $(PACKAGE).spec
    rpm -ta $(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION).tar.gz

at the moment I am stuck with *all* project being unable to
cross-compile win32 dlls, again the fault of automake-1.4beef?
I'll check that later with 1.4-p5 (is it 5 now?)...

happy hacking everyone,
but now I'm going to see a bit of the sun out there,
cheers,
-- guido                               http://guidod.4t.com
31:GCS/E/S/P C++$++++ ULHS L++w- N++@  d(+-) s+a- y++ 5++X-