Re: Should automake add X_LIBS to LIBS automatically?

From: Richard Boulton
Subject: Re: Should automake add X_LIBS to LIBS automatically?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:12:47 +0100

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 02:56:12AM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:
> I'm confused over the difference between:
>
> LDADD
> LIBADD
> LDFLAGS
> LIBS
>
> Could someone explain how and when the above should be used?

Further, (and I promise to stop spamming the list now),
AM_LDFLAGS gets referenced in my Makefile.in by the line:

LINK = $(LIBTOOL) --mode=link $(CCLD) $(AM_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) \
        $(AM_LDFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@

but an attempt to set AM_LDFLAGS in Makefile.am gives the error
"invalid unused variable name: `AM_LDFLAGS'"

I cannot set AM_LIBADD or AM_LDADD either (they return similar errors).

However, I _can_ set AM_LIBS, as "AM_LIBS = $(MYLIBS)",
but it doesn't get used anywhere in Makefile.in.

Which of AM_LDADD, AM_LIBADD, AM_LDFLAGS, and AM_LIBS are meant to be
valid.

My guess is that the reference to AM_LDFLAGS in the link line is a mistake,
and that AM_LIBS is the only one which should work if any of them do.

--
Richard