Re: "make dist" calls "automake" ??

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: "make dist" calls "automake" ??
Date: 20 Jul 2001 18:53:55 +0200

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

Guido> I remember a time that most of the code that wants to run
Guido> autotools had been prefixed with an ifdef-check
Guido> (@maintainer_mode_true@) - why not for these too?

Tom> Oh, yeah -- when that code was written the assumption was that
Tom> the person running `make dist' would be a maintainer.  I don't
Tom> really have a problem with that (though this particular
Tom> requirement isn't in the source any more).

Please, don't do that.  Using missing is much more appropriate.  For
instance, only missing will help independently of the version of
Automake used by the user.  If it's old enough, then Makefile.in is
produced, and if automake fails (e.g., version too old), then
Makefile.in is preserved.