libtool usage macro in aclocal

From: Ingo Luetkebohle
Subject: libtool usage macro in aclocal
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:22:39 +0200

Hi,

the libtool.m4 from automake 2.52 (and earlier) defaults to using the
libtool included with a software distribution regardless of wether
libtool is already present on the target system.

In the update from libtool 1.3 to 1.4 (some of its new features are
needed to correctly build on our setup), this has created a lot of
problems because ltconfig is no longer present and thus all of the
macros are suddenly wrong. Maybe I'm missing an easy way to fix the m4
files of software distributions automatically (running aclocal didn't
do it) but in any case I wondered why a system-wide libtool isn't
preferred, when available and of the right version? In that case,
building libtool wouldn't be necessary and the macros could just be
ignored.

Ingo