Re: Two confusing problems

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Two confusing problems
Date: 26 Jul 2001 17:46:29 -0600

>>>>> "John" == John Levon <address@hidden> writes:

John> 1) I made a small autoconf/make project and sent him the make
John> dist tarball.  He cannot run autogen.sh automake :

If you sent him the output of `make dist' then he doesn't need to run
autogen (which I assume runs aclocal, autoconf, and automake).  `dist'
generates something ready to use.  He can just run `configure'.

Beyond that, his automake is too old.  He must upgrade.

John> I know libtool 1.4 and above don't install ltconfig. but why
John> cannot it not find his present /usr/share/libtool/ltconfig for
John> 1.3.5 ?

Offhand I couldn't say.
Mixing libtool verisons like this is probably a bad idea anyway.

John> Is this a compatability issue ? If so, what versions do I need
John> to use to get a tarball anyone can use for development ?

`make dist'

John> 2) automake doesn't scan for AC_PROG_LIBTOOL, so it's kind of
John> hard to not use the deprecated form ???

I don't recall offhand, but that might be a problem with 1.4.
He should upgrade automake.

John> How do I #define a value computed from ./configure safely so the
John> library can default to the right directory ? It would be OK if I
John> had libMyLib_la_CXXFLAGS that worked as expected or something...

You can use AM_CXXFLAGS.  This will probably do what you want.

This question is a FAQ.  I bet the autoconf macro archive, or the
autoconf mailing list archive, has a bunch of answers for it.

Tom