Passing different DEFS to different targets

From: Luser
Subject: Passing different DEFS to different targets
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 15:42:35 -0400

I have a single source directory that is being used to create two
separate executable targets.  Each target shares a set of common
C source files.  For the most part the differences between the two
targets is a matter of which object files get linked in.  However, there
are a few differences that are resolved by passing different
CPP definitions when compiling.

Is it possible to pass different CPP macro defs to different sets of C
source (or even the same C source) when creating two separate targets in
automake?

For example, I'd like to be able to do this:

bin_PROGRAMS = alphaserver betaserver

alphaserver_SOURCE = cmn1.c cmn2.c cmn3.c alpha1.c alpha2.c
betaserver_SOURCE = cmn1.c cmn2.c cmn3.c beta1.c beta2.c

alphaserver_DEFS = -DALPHA=1
betaserver_DEFS = -DBETA=1

I tried doing that, actually, but it didn't work.

I also in the future might like to do the same concerning compiler
optimizations and/or flags.

Thanks

-- Steve Lawler