Re: Automake 1.4l released

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Automake 1.4l released
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 00:35:58 +0200

> the old original).  This is allowed on linux, but NOT on
> windows/NTFS/cygwin, when perms = -r--r--r--.

I'm pretty sure this is a cygwin issue (I'd even consider it a
bug in cygwin's behaviour, as it matches neither Unix nor
Windows behaviour).  On DJGPP (in a DOS box under WinME, FAT32
drive) I get:

E:\Tmp>touch foo

E:\Tmp>ls -l foo
-rw-r--r--   1 Zastai   root            0 Aug 13 00:23 foo

E:\Tmp>chmod -w foo

E:\Tmp>ls -l foo
-r--r--r--   1 Zastai   root            0 Aug 13 00:23 foo

E:\Tmp>touch foo

E:\Tmp>ls -l foo
-r--r--r--   1 Zastai   root            0 Aug 13 00:24 foo

The only potential problem with DOS/FAT/whatever access times
in this regard is that directories can't have their timestamp
set using the usual DOS system calls; the LFN API introduced
with Win9x does offer a system call for that, but basic DOS
does not allow it.

E:\Tmp>rm foo
rm.exe: remove write-protected file `foo'? y

E:\Tmp>mkdir foo

E:\Tmp>touch foo
e:/djgpp/bin/touch.exe: foo: Permission denied (EACCES)

Also, Linux' filesystem drivers for fat/vfat/... don't support
setting all file times, so they cause similar trouble.

For regular files, on a DOS/Windows based system, there should
be NO such errors IMHO.