Re: Automake 1.4l released

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Automake 1.4l released
Date: 14 Aug 2001 10:44:22 +0200

>>> "Charles" == Charles Wilson <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Charles> distcheck:) so their permissions are -r--r--r--.  The
 Charles> 'cp -p' command performs the copy in a two step
 Charles> process: first, the file is copied, permissions and
 Charles> all. So, we have a new copy of the file which is ALSO
 Charles> -r--r--r--, but with the wrong timestamp.  Then, cp
 Charles> tries to preserve the time (e.g. CHANGE the timestamp
 Charles> of the new copy so that it matches the old original).
 Charles> This is allowed on linux, but NOT on
 Charles> windows/NTFS/cygwin, when perms = -r--r--r--.

Maybe I'm missing something, but my manual page for cp reads

       -p, --preserve
              preserve file attributes if possible

Doesn't `if possible' means cp should not complain is it does?

[...]

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz