Re: 'DATA' is an anachronism

From: david
Subject: Re: 'DATA' is an anachronism
Date: 17 Aug 2001 07:38:36 -0700

On Fri, 17 August 2001, Akim Demaille wrote:

> Please, turn off HTML!

My apologies!  I did not realize I was sending HTML mail.

As for my original question, I dug through the Automake sources & discovered
the error of my ways.
I'm now using the (correct) pkgdata_DATA = file.dat
I also went back to the goatbook, and found that this was documented correctly
there, but not explained in an explicit manner. (At least not explicitly enough
for a beginner like me.)

This does, however, bring up another question:
I'm now using something like this in Makefile.am:

CXXFLAGS        += -DDATA_DIR=$(pkgdatadir) -Wall -g -O3
pkgdata_DATA    = my.data
EXTRA_DIST      = $(pkgdata_DATA)

This works fine once the package is installed, but does not work when running
the program from the build dir. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
David