automake failures

From: Alexander Mai
Subject: automake failures
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:59:05 +0200

Hello,

I want to report a couple of failures within the test suite
of automake 1.5/CVS on Digital Unix.
Actually 13 fail, but a quick look at the output
seems to indicate that perhaps just the tests are broken:

many of them explicitly assign
 CC=gcc
which is not a good idea perhaps. Later on the problem seems
to b that it's even called with my CFLAGS from the environment
and those don't work with gcc, of course.

The failing tests are:
ansi3.test ansi5.test ccnoco.test cond4.test cond16.test cond18.test
cond19.test depcomp2.test
depend2.test lex3.test pr87.test subobj3.test substref.test
and typical output looks like:

=== Running test ./ansi3.test
Makefile.am:1: installing `./ansi2knr.c'
Makefile.am:1: installing `./ansi2knr.1'
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/local/bin/install -c
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -std1 -ieee ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.
FAIL: ansi3.test

Please CC: any answers to me, I'm not subscribde to this list.

--
Alexander Mai
address@hidden