Re: [Lame-dev] little makefile bug

From: Alexander Leidinger
Subject: Re: [Lame-dev] little makefile bug
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:32:34 +0200 (CEST)

On 25 Aug, Guillaume Lessard wrote:

Note for the address@hidden people:
We are talking about the following part in libmp3lame/Makefile.am
(http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/lame):
---snip---
lib_LTLIBRARIES = libmp3lame.la

if HAVE_NASM
nasm_ldadd = $(top_builddir)/libmp3lame/@CPUTYPE@/liblameasmroutines.la
else
nasm_ldadd =
endif

if LIB_WITH_DECODER
decoder_ldadd = $(top_builddir)/mpglib/libmpgdecoder.la
else
decoder_ldadd =
endif

libmp3lame_la_LIBADD = $(nasm_ldadd) $(decoder_ldadd)
libmp3lame_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info @LIB_MAJOR_VERSION@:@LIB_MINOR_VERSION@
---snip---

> Hello,
>
> I've just spent half an hour trying to track this down, and I can only
> conclude that makefiles are too obfuscated for me =)
>
> In libmp3file/Makefile (and, of course, the relevant .in and .am
> antecedents), there is a problem with the command that results in the
> following:
>
> (cd .libs/libmp3lame.lax/libmpgdecoder.a && ar x /Volumes/White
> Star/Users/glessard/Codage/lame-dev/libmp3lame/../mpglib/.libs/libmpgdecode
> r.a)
>
> i.e.
>
> (cd .libs/libmp3lame.lax/libmpgdecoder.a && ar x
> $builddir/libmp3lame/../mpglib/.libs/libmpgdecoder.a)
>
> where $builddir is the critical part...
>

> The script doesn't escape embedded spaces or otherwise keep the path
> between quotes, so it fails on my system, where there is a space in one of
> the directory names.
>
> The obvious question is: why does it not quote paths?

To quote the autoconf 1.5 TODO file:
---snip---
Stuff NOT to do, and why:
[...]
* quoting bugs
  - how to install file with a space in its name?
  [ don't bother with this -- make is just too losing ]
---snip---

Guillaume also asked why absolute paths are used. Can anyone at
address@hidden please explain why absolute paths instead of relative
paths (this would solve this particular problem) are used (please keep
the CC, I didn't think anyone of us is subscribed to address@hidden)?

> If whoever has makefile/configure proficiency can fix this one, I'd be
> grateful =)

I tried to quote it in libmp3lame/Makefile.am, but it fails (and then I
found the quoted part of TODO).

Guillaume, if you didn't care about the possibility to use mp3s as
input files just use --disable-decoder as an option to configure.
Perhaps it does work.

Note for lame-dev: we can "fix" it if we didn't care about the
possibility to build in another directory. I put the word fix in quotes
because it's only a workaround. And there are at least two people which
use a seperate build directory (myself and someone who posted a fix for
it some time ago).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.