Re: double assignment is an error in automake 1.5?

From: Assar Westerlund
Subject: Re: double assignment is an error in automake 1.5?
Date: 29 Aug 2001 02:05:16 +0200

Richard Boulton <address@hidden> writes:
> 2) It is, however, sometimes desirable to override a definition,
> especially when a standardised makefile fragment is being "include"ed.  If
> multiple assignment is forbidden, there is no way to do this.

I agree with both your points.  And I was only left with these uses of
multiple assignment when trying to get my package to use automake 1.5.

> I would suggest that the ideal solution is to add a flag to automake's
> command line to say "assume that multiple definition of variables means
> use the last definition as an override", for backwards compatability.
> (But give a warning that this is deprecated behaviour)
> Perhaps this flag should be "--backwards-compatible", and also allow
> other significant incompatabilities to pass (such as using += on a
> variable which isn't yet defined.)

Since all previous versions of automake have allowed multiple
assignments, I think that the default should be to allow them.

> Comments?  Patches?  Or shall I add making a patch for this to my list
> of things to do?

I would prefer if there was a warnings option for warning for these.

/assar