Re: Documentation generation

From: Steve M. Robbins
Subject: Re: Documentation generation
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:56:34 -0400

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 10:21:21AM +0200, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to generate the documentation automatically with Doxygen from my
> source code. I've done it this way (Makefile.am in my doc directory):
>
> EXTRA_DIST = rs232.doxygen
>
> CLEANFILES = *.html *.gif *.css
>
> noinst_PROGRAMS = index.html
>
> index_html_SOURCES = rs232.doxygen
>
> index.html: rs232.doxygen
>       doxygen rs232.doxygen

If you use "doxygen $(srcdir)/rs232.doxygen" instead, your immediate
problem will vanish.  But you will probably get no documentation
produced, because doxygen will be running in the build directory,
which has no source files for it to scan!

Instead of the above, what I end up doing is generating the doxygen
config file itself.  In doc/doxy.in, I set the doxygen input to be
something like

  INPUT = @top_srcdir@/include @top_srcdir@/src
@srcdir@/other_documentation.dox

Then I generate "doc/doxy" by listing it in configure.in's AC_OUTPUT line.
The rule for *running* doxygen remains as you have it ("doxygen doxy")
because the file "doxy" is now a *generated* file, so it appears in the
build directory.

If you get into the habit of doing development work outside of the source
directory, you'll get fewer surprises like this when using "make distcheck".

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,