conditional compatibility

From: Fausto Sanchez
Subject: conditional compatibility
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 19:14:39 -0700

Hi,

We were running automake 1.4 and had no problems with this kind of
conditional:

bin_PROGRAMS = klm_inb.o

if HWPLATFORM_SUP1_PC
klm_inb_o_SOURCES = inband.c inb_sup1-pc.c
endif
if HWPLATFORM_SUP1
klm_inb_o_SOURCES = inband.c inb_sup1.c
endif

Now I upgraded to automake 1.5 because we needed the support for
adding += in the source definition. Howeever, automake 1.5 is giving me these
errors, well warnings:

automake: isan/platform/common/kspace/inband/Makefile.am: warning: automake does not support klm_inb_o_SOURCES being defined conditionally automake: isan/platform/common/kspace/inband/Makefile.am: warning: automake does not support klm_inb_o_SOURCES being defined conditionally /users/fas/bin/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL

Is automake 1.5 not backward compatible??

How about this one, I have the following conditional on another Makefile.am:

SUBDIRS =

if HWPLATFORM_SUP1
   SUBDIRS += inband
endif

if HWPLATFORM_SUP1_PC
   SUBDIRS += inband
endif

When I run configure I get the errors below, is this not legal, I didn't get these warnings
with automake 1.4.

isan/platform/common/kspace/Makefile.am:24: SUBDIRS was already defined in condition TRUE, which implies condition HWPLATFORM_SUP1_PC_TRUE

  SUBDIRS (User, where = 24) +=
  {
    HWPLATFORM_SUP1_TRUE => inband
    TRUE =>