autoreconf and overriding RECURSIVE_TARGETS

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: autoreconf and overriding RECURSIVE_TARGETS
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 20:32:07 -0400

I have a Makefile.am where I (think I) really want to override
RECURSIVE_TARGETS.  This is because the SUBDIRS have Makefiles that are
generated from "elsewhere" and don't have all of the recursive targets (I
only need a few of them and it will be Difficult/politically incorrect to
add dummy targets to these Makefiles).

I (think I) noticed that when I manually ran automake everything was OK, but
when I ran "autoreconf -f" I get a message:

 Makefile.am:10: RECURSIVE_TARGETS was set with `=' and is now set with `+='

What do I need to do to convince automake that I really want to "assign" a
value to RECURSIVE_TARGETS instead of "augment" the value?