Redefined extension caused problems

From: Dmitry Mikhin
Subject: Redefined extension caused problems
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 16:35:50 +1030

I'm trying to use autotools for a project that includes Fortran-90 files
(extensions f90 for preprocessed files and F90 for source files).

There was a problem with automake (see the automake mailing list for
October 24 and November 1) that was fixed. Thank you!

OK, now it builds the project, but cannot clean-up the mess:

make distclean

tries to compile a file distclean-compile, fails, and aborts the make.

The distclean-compile rule in 'Makefile.in' is:

distclean-compile:
 -rm -f *.tab.c
 $(F77COMPILE) -c -o $@ `test -f $< || echo '$(srcdir)/'`$<

However, the compilation rule in distclean-compile does not occur if I
delete the extension '.f90' in the definition of Fortran 77 in
/usr/local/bin/automake. That's why I consider it automake rather than
autoconf bug (but I may be wrong).

Software:
  CVS automake of November 1 + a patch from the same day
  autoconf 2.52d or CVS (does not matter, fails anyway)
  RedHat 7.1 with 2.4.2-2 kernel

Gzipped tar-file of the test project is attached. The project consists
of a
single file subr.F90.

More general: is there a systematic way of re-defining the meaning of
some extensions? My Fortran-90 uses *.m for modules. Originally ".m" is
used by objective C but in this case redefinition work correctly and
does not cause problems. Redefinition of .f90, on the other hand,
results in the problem described above.

Dmitry