Re: qeustion about make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: qeustion about make
Date: 08 Nov 2001 09:39:23 -0500

%% Mohammad Saleem <address@hidden> writes:

  ms> I am using gnu make 3.79.1.
  ms> I have a question regarding make. My question is that I want to define a
  ms> symbol on command line. How to do with make?
  ms> For example if I want to define MYOBJECT symbol, how to write?
  ms> I even tried with
  ms> prompt> make -D MYOBJECT  test.c
  ms> didn't work.

This is not actually an automake question; you should better address it
to address@hidden

The answer to your question is that the make variable CPPFLAGS is used
to hole C preprocessor flags.  So, if you want to change or the flags
that are passed to the preprocessor, you would override that make
variable on the command line, like this:

  $ make CPPFLAGS='-D MYOBJECT'

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/