SUBDIRS with slashes?

From: Joerg Faschingbauer
Subject: SUBDIRS with slashes?
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 16:55:19 +0100

Being new to automake, I am missing (not badly though) one feature I
would want to use otherwise. This is, I'd occasionally want to say,

SUBDIRS = a/b

in the toplevel Makefile.am.

I know, the doc says that "The directories mentioned in SUBDIRS must
be direct children of the current directory. For instance, you cannot
put `src/subdir' into SUBDIRS."

Is there any way to do this anyway? I mean, creating the corresponding
build directory before running configure makes configure work where it
would otherwise bail out with an mkdir error. I do fear, however, that
other things I don't know of yet will discontinue to work if I do
that.

Thanks,
Joerg