Re: install-data-hook

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: install-data-hook
Date: 05 Dec 2001 18:03:20 -0700

Ted> It is my understanding (from reading the info pages)
Ted> that the install-data-hook target is done after the
Ted> install-data target.

Yes.

Ted>     install-data-local:
Ted>         cmd1
Ted>         cmd2

Here you're using `install-data-local', which is different from
`install-data-hook'.

-local and -hook are different because -hook has a performance penalty
when using parallel make.  It forces a serialization.

Ted> The corresponding Makefile has  the following target:
Ted>     install-data-am: install-data-local install-pkgdataDATA

Ordering here is no indication of when things will be run.  With a
parallel make it is indeterminate.

Tom