help with AC_CHECK_LIB, AC_TRY_LINK

From: Patrick Crosby
Subject: help with AC_CHECK_LIB, AC_TRY_LINK
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 17:23:23 -0800

for some reason, i'm unable to get configure to find one of the
libraries i'm using.

i have tried both of the following in my configure.in:

    AC_CHECK_LIB([id3], [ID3Tag_New])

and

    saved_libs="$LIBS"
    LIBS="$LIBS -lid3"
    AC_TRY_LINK([#include <id3.h>], [ID3Tag* pTag = ID3Tag_New();],
                [echo "found libid3"],
                [LIBS="$saved_libs"
                 echo "couldn't find libid3"])

and neither one works.  the same configure.in finds libraries with
AC_CHECK_LIB in the same directory as libid3.so* (/usr/local/lib),
ID3Tag_New is definitely a function in the library:

(from id3.h):

    ID3Tag     *ID3Tag_New                  (void);

i've tried other functions in the library.  just so i could continue
working on the code, i've done this to let me build:

    LIBS="$LIBS -lid3"

but i definitely don't want to release it to the public like that.

does anyone have any advice?  is there something i'm doing wrong?

thanks for your help.

patrick