Subdirectory builds

From: G. E. Quelch
Subject: Subdirectory builds
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:35:10 +0000

I am having trouble constructing the files needed by autoconf and/or
automake to construct a sub directory build environment. My main
directory has no source, but several subdirectories have.

I have the following configure.in:

AC_INIT

AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(db_access/ db_access_new/)

AC_PROG_MAKE_SET

AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT(db_access/Makefile db_access_new/Makefile)

and a Makefile.am:

SUBDIRS=db_access db_access_new

However, when running make, after building configure with the autoconf
command, and running configure, I get the following error:

address@hidden source]$ make
cd . && \
  @AUTOMAKE@ --gnu  Makefile
/bin/sh: @AUTOMAKE@: command not found
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 127

The Makefile.in has:

ACLOCAL = @ACLOCAL@
AUTOCONF = @AUTOCONF@
AUTOMAKE = @AUTOMAKE@
AUTOHEADER = @AUTOHEADER@

which is the cause of the problem. What macro is missing in my files? I
have reviewed all online documentation I know about, but they aren't
helping me. Other that the documentation at gnu.org, and the autobook
available from redhat.com, are there other up-to-date online
documentation sources?

Autoconf version 2.52 and automake 1.5

Thanks for any help.

--
G. E. "Geoff" Quelch Ph.D.
Chief Software Engineer, Computational Geosciences Inc.