Re: automake parallel install

From: Havoc Pennington
Subject: Re: automake parallel install
Date: 10 Jan 2002 21:52:43 -0500

Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:
> => IMO, this patch is one alternative towards allowing parallel
> installation of _automake_, but does not help much wrt. the actual
> autotool-issues "Joe Occasional Installer" will meet (eg. when building
> GNOME modules).

I agree there are other issues there, but the implication to me is
that we have to address those other tools as well as automake. We
still do have to address automake however. One step at a time.

It's true that share/aclocal is not versioned and this creates
problems if third-party macros are dependent on specific versions. A
semi-solution here is for third-party macros to start using the
versioned share/aclocal-1.x directories instead. However leaving
share/aclocal in the search path works pretty well for now since most
third-party m4 seems to work with both automakes.

Something like GTK would probably install m4 to several different
share/aclocal-1.x directories, to avoid imposing a specific automake
version on programs using GTK. It's annoying there that if an app
wants to upgrade automake they have to wait for a GTK release that
supports the new automake, but I see no way around that short of a
guarantee of back compat on the part of auto*.

Havoc