Re: automake parallel install

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: automake parallel install
Date: 15 Jan 2002 22:48:43 -0700

Tom> My current thinking is that we would name the installed version
Tom> and the install directories after the "install version".  For
Tom> anything in the 1.5 series (1.5.1, 1.5-p1, 1.5c, whatever), this
Tom> would be "1.5".  Then we would guarantee that for a given
Tom> "install version" we would only do bug fixes.

I decided not to do this.  It is simpler and easier to understand if
we simply always add the version number.

Tom> I think the rebuild rule problem is even worse if autoconf is
Tom> versioned.  Where will the version info come from?

I looked at this some more.  The info can simply come from autoconf
itself.  Automake puts `$(AUTOCONF)' into the Makefile.in, and this is
computed in AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.  So if we can get the autoconf version
at configure time we can easily handle this.

Tom