Re: automake parallel install

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: automake parallel install
Date: 16 Jan 2002 11:31:36 +0100

On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 22:38, Ted Irons wrote:
> Just a thought ...

Might as well put in my .02 Euro as well.

I kinda like a gcc-style approach; i.e. install the actual automake/...
scripts as $prefix/share/automake/version/automake.  Then have a
$prefix/bin/automake that checks for some option that requests a
specific version (cfr gcc -V 2.95.2), and then invokes the proper script
(possibly transforming some other options to make them more palatable
for older versions).
The default version could be the last installed version, or it could be
determined by looking at configure.ac/configure.in/Makefile.am for
hints.
This solution keeps $prefix/bin fairly uncluttered, moving the many
scripts below their own tree under $prefix/shared/.  I think this is
what's done by the autoconf & automake wrappers used by cygnus, but I'm
not sure.