Re: Using ld instead of ar

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Using ld instead of ar
Date: 18 Jan 2002 14:57:26 -0700

>>>>> "Itay" == Itay Meiri <address@hidden> writes:

Itay> My project is built from several source subdirs. By default
Itay> automake is using ar to build a single 'somelib.a' in every
Itay> subdir before the final link. How can I make it use ld instead
Itay> of ar?  I tried using libtool but it didn't help.

Basically, you can't.
I'm not sure I understand what you're attempting.
If you just want to link all these things into a single large program,
try using a newer automake.  Then you can simply list the subdirectory
source files in your top-level Makefile.am, and skip creating
convenience archives.

Tom