Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:27:57 -0800

Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

> Automake names PACKAGE what Autoconf name PACKAGE_TARNAME.  In addition,
> Autoconf support PACKAGE_NAME.  Because in many cases PACKAGE_TARNAME
> can be computed from the PACKAGE_NAME, such a _default_ is provided.  If
> you don't like it, define your value for the TARNAME.

> But again, I repeat, nothing can have changed here, since it was not
> existing before.  Read again: Autoconf has two where Automake has one,
> and you don't seem to see that you confuse the two Autoconf's.

Okay, ignore all of that.

Why are you lowercasing the package name?  Why not leave the
capitalization alone?

If this was just an arbitrary stylistic decision, please change it.
Arbitrary decisions should be made in the direction of maximum freedom for
the user.

If it wasn't an arbitrary decision, then presumably there's a good reason
why the package name needs to be lowercased.  What breaks if it's not?

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>