AM_CONDITIONAL and config.status

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: AM_CONDITIONAL and config.status
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 15:05:32 +0000

I make heavy use of AM_CONDITIONAL in my Makefile.ams, mainly for
conditional compiliation of stuff.  This now works really well with
automake 1.5 (it required nasty hacks with 1.4).

My question is, although I use

if CONDITIONAL
FOO
else
BAR
endif

in Makefile.am, and this becomes

@address@hidden
@address@hidden

in Makefile.in, is it safe to use this format in my own .in files (e.g.
po/POTFILES.in), or will the format used for the conditionals in .in
files change at a future date?  What I need to do is have lines
conditionally included, as some are conditionally distributed.

@address@hidden CUPS sources
@address@hidden/cups/genppd.c

@address@hidden Foomatic-related sources
@address@hidden/foomatic/printer_options.c

or do they need a preceding _TRUE line to match each false one?

Also, would it be possible in the future to allow the following
expansion by automake?:

if COND
FOO
BAR
BAZ
else
BAD
endif

and output the following:

@address@hidden
@address@hidden
@address@hidden
@address@hidden

which would enable multiple lines to be enclosed within conditionals,
and therefore whole rules can be made conditional (it is currently
possible to wrap just the target:deps line in a conditional, but this
breaks non-GNU makes, which panic on seeing commands in the middle of
nowhere).

Being able to use 'ifndef' would also be another nice addition, or has
this already been done (I possibly remember this being mentioned).

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh