Re: what is this shell call trying to solve?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: what is this shell call trying to solve?
Date: 02 Feb 2002 14:30:30 -0700

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> Now if that causes real problems, not just esthetics, then of
Akim> course it ought to be fixed.

Sometimes these esthetic considerations are important -- to me
anyway.  Also, in this case there is a small performance penalty for
the existing code.  One problem I see in automake is that the features
we support add performance penalties to the resulting Makefile.  This
in turn can be used to argue against using automake.  So I prefer to
try to reduce these penalties when possible.

As an example, I'm still interested in changing depend2.am so that if
depmode=gcc3, then we avoid using depcomp.  This will make depend2 a
bit harder to maintain.  But it will add a nice optimization for
developers using free software.

Tom