COPYING.LIB in GNITS mode?

From: Bonzini Paolo
Subject: COPYING.LIB in GNITS mode?
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:27:14 +0100 (MET)

I found that the old rule in automake 1.4 that COPYING.LIB is prohibited
in GNITS mode is not enforced anymore.  The explanation in the manual was
wrong: the LGPL is not considered a failed experiment tout court, but the
newer denomination Lesser GPL and the newer file name COPYING.LESSER
should be adopted.

Were the GNITS standards changed to remove the prescription, or was it
removed because it was considered too harsh?  In my opinion, first of all
the COPYING.LESSER file should be included in common_files, and given
this, the enforcement on COPYING.LIB could be reintroduced and better
explained in the manual.

Paolo Bonzini