RE: How to trigger actions after recursing in directories...

From: Daniel Shane
Subject: RE: How to trigger actions after recursing in directories...
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:17:31 -0500

> Daniel> I have a recursive automake installation and I would like to
> Daniel> have make go into each subdirectory and execute some code
> Daniel> before and after the recursion.  Is this possible with
> Daniel> automake?
>
> I don't think it is possible.
> Why do you need this?
>
> Tom

In my case, the target is a floppy image (small linux distro). However, I
need to go in each subdirectory to compile all the applications and at the
end create a floppy image and copy all the executables into it.

Example structure:

TOP
 configure, configure.in, Makefile.am,...
 -projects
   Makefile.am, ...
   -app1
     configure, configure.in, Makefile.am...
   -app2
     configure, configure.in, Makefile.am...
   -app3
     configure, configure.in, Makefile.am...
 -image
   Makefile.am, ...
   floppy.img

How I build is :

  *Run configure in app1, app2 and app3 via AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(projects/*) in
the TOP configure.in.
  *Specify images as the last subdir, so that it gets trigered last
  *run make... (recursion)
  *Since the image directory is last, it can assume all the apps where
compiled successfully.

However I do not need the image directory. I would like the main Makefile.am
to say that BUILT_SOURCES is floppy.img, but that this target should get
executed *after* all the recursion takes place. Just like make dist created
the tar.gz in the top directory.

What do you think?

Regards,
Daniel Shane