Re: Recreate depfiles when regenerating Makefiles

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Recreate depfiles when regenerating Makefiles
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:51:49 +0100

| Hi,

| > Hari> Akim once suggested adding a facility to hook commands to files
| > Hari> listed in AC_CONFIG_FILES.
| >
| > The problem with this idea is that the information about which files
| > is known when automake is run, not when autoconf is run.
|
| I meant it this way:
|
|   AC_CONFIG_FILES([foo/Makefile])
|
| and elsewhere, some _AM_* macro generates
|
|   AC_CONFIG_FILE_HOOK([foo/Makefile],
|   [# same commands as run for 'depfiles' AC_CONFIG_COMMAND
|   ])
|
| (Though, IIRC, Akim wanted this functionality as part of AC_CONFIG_COMMAND).

Correct.  All I'm asking for is a spec, and then it should be
straightforward to implement.

Does it sound ok to everybody that

AC_CONFIG_FILES(foo)
AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS(foo, echo foo, echo bar)

is the same as

AC_CONFIG_FILES(foo, echo foo, echo bar)

?

Or do you think it might mask clashes, and should trigger an error (as
is the case now), and *_HOOK would be better.