Re: mkinstalldirs and conditional building/installation

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: Re: mkinstalldirs and conditional building/installation
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 01:07:28 +0000

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:38:11PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> At the moment, every possible
> installation directory is created, leaving unused empty directories
> after installation.

I have made two patches to implement this, and I have seen no problems
with my package.  Now directories will only be created if there is
something to install in them!

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~rl117/automake/automake-mkinstalldirs.diff
[against current CVS]

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~rl117/automake/automake1.5-mkinstalldirs.diff
[against 1.5 am directory]

In all files, the mkinstalldirs command is just wrapped with a
conditional.  However, in mans.am I had to move the location from the
top of the rule, because we need to know if there are really any man
pages needed from man_MANS.  I'm also not certain of the correctness of
the JAVA primary, or INFO docs checks.  I am satisfied that it works for
at least PROGRAMS and MANS primaries though.

I have not done extensive testing, but it works for me.  The patch was
done for 1.5, and then applied to the CVS version and rejects fixed to
give the final patch.

Regards,
Roger

--