Re: [patch] mkinstalldirs used conditionally

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: Re: [patch] mkinstalldirs used conditionally
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:39:47 +0000

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 03:34:56PM +0100, Akim Demaille wrote:

> IMHO, this is obfuscating the code.  The real means (again, IMHO) to
> address this issue should be to use an install-sh which creates the
> directories and their parents when needed.

That would be ideal.

> It simplifies the code, addresses your issue, and also guarantees that
> in the future, all such targets will behave as you suggest.

True.  It won't be compatible with a traditional BSD install though,
AFAIK.

> Would you contribute the AC_PROG_INSTALL macro and install-sh updates?

I will try to.

If install creates the directories, mkinstalldirs will have to be
removed from the automake rules.  This will necessitate autoconf/make
*only* using the install-sh included in the source, or else installdirs
will not be created.

Is this correct?
I can update install-sh to create installdirs, but what should I do
about other installs?  If we don't use install-sh, how do we create
directories?  Can this use install-sh as a wrapper to call other
installs?

--
Roger Leigh
                ** Registration Number: 151826, http://counter.li.org **