Re: RFC: ./configure or ./config.status --clean

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: RFC: ./configure or ./config.status --clean
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:40:50 -0500 (EST)

Akim Demaille writes:

> I don't agree.  The important part is that I, as a maintainer of the
> foo package, focus on my task, and be relieved of all these stupid
> details.   It has to work for me, not the converse.

If a package maintainer wants to be relieved from stupid details, he can
use Automake, so it won't make a difference what Automake does internally.
If the maintainer still writes his own makefiles, there's little
difference between having to remember to write

clean:
        $(RM) all the other files @ac_extra_clean_files@

and having to remember to write

clean:
        $(RM) all the other files
        $(srcdir)/configure --clean

The first one is much less intrusive, it's easier to check what's going
on, and it even works if you blew away your configure.  (It's happened
more than once to me.)

In fact, this idea is so ill-defined that you are rewriting the GNU
makefile standards to make any sense of it.  Subdir distclean works just
fine; please leave it.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden