Re: Large project support

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Large project support
Date: 10 Apr 2002 11:26:44 -0600

>>>>> "Timo" == Timo K Suoranta <address@hidden> writes:

Timo> Yes I have read those. I still do not understand the reason why
Timo> it is so,

Wildcards are unreliable, and with automake we try to promote reliable
builds.  For instance that is why we use full instead of partial
dependency information.

Also wildcards wouldn't interact well with some automake features.
That's because we need to do certain things statically to work around
problems and missing features in vendor makes.

As an example suppose you want to use per-executable CFLAGS.  This
feature won't work with wildcards since we must generate an explicit
rule for each .o in the executable.  With wildcards there is no way to
know when we need to regenerate the Makefile (we could do it every
time, but first that would be horrible and people would complain, and
second it only works with GNU make anyway).

HTH,
Tom