Re: automake reports .lo file created with and without libtool

From: Richard Boulton
Subject: Re: automake reports .lo file created with and without libtool
Date: 10 Apr 2002 19:22:02 +0100

On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 16:57, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I just installed autoconf 2.53 and as a result wound up installing the
> Release-1-6 snapshot from the automake CVS tree.  Automake now complains:
>
>     automake: src/Makefile.am: object `alf.lo' created both with libtool and
> without

The same kind of situation exists in evolution, in several places.  To
take one example: (camel/Makefile.am, for any evolution developers out
there), automake complains:

automake: camel/Makefile.am: object `camel-lock.$(OBJEXT)' created both
with libtool and without

The relevant excerpts from the Makefile.am seem to be: (... representing
other values)

sbin_PROGRAMS = camel-lock-helper ...
lib_LTLIBRARIES = libcamel.la

libcamel_la_SOURCES = ... camel-lock.c ...
camel_lock_helper_SOURCES = ... camel-lock.c ...

Perhaps the appropriate solution is for automake to notice the conflict,
and automatically use libtool to compile the objects for
camel-lock-helper and to link it.

--
Richard