Re: maintainer mode (Was: Re: first time automaking question)

From: Chadwick A. McHenry
Subject: Re: maintainer mode (Was: Re: first time automaking question)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:16:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
>  Chadwick> Using AM_MAINTAINER_MODE seems to be a Good Thing, in
>  Chadwick> light of the potential problems for users, when it is
>  Chadwick> absent. Is there any reason I _would_not_ want to
>  Chadwick> include it in my configure.am and modify my bootstrap
>  Chadwick> script to specify '--enable-maintainer-mode'?
>
> What are the problems you want to hide with AM_MAINTAINER_MODE?
> Maybe we can help you to fix them.
>

>From the original thread (below) I get the impression that if automake and
friends are on the users machine, and are not the same version as used by
me (the developer), there could be 'trouble' due to ./configure testing
for auto*. I also read that these potentail problems are eliminated by
adding AM_MAINTAINER_MODE. I haven't personally run this, but it seems
like a good idea to eliminate the potential for any difficulty.

--
Chad McHenry          Email:     address@hidden
                      Homepage:  http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/red