RE: maintainer mode

From: Robert Collins
Subject: RE: maintainer mode
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 12:11:10 +1000

'missing' isn't the issue. The automake 1.4->1.5 and recent autoconf
2.5x dependency is the issue. There's no way we can require folk on the
*BSD platform that use ports to upgrade, and after a typical patch,
aclocal/autoconf/automake do get triggered - unless we use
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE.

> Also, the results of `make dist' should never require any
> auto* tool to be run.  Does this fail for your users?

I don't know, and don't' care :}. My point was that the tarball
generated by make dist that the user downloads doesn't [shouldn't] need
the auto* tools available, even if they do have a local patch or two.
(assuming that the patch patches both the input and the generated
files).

On our dev tree, we don't check in the generated files, and every
maintainer uses --enable-maintainer-mode.