Re: Substituting during maintainer package builds

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Substituting during maintainer package builds
Date: 21 Apr 2002 03:12:43 -0400

%% Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

  >> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
  >> Date: 20 Apr 2002 23:03:52 -0400
  >>
  >> the autoconf scripts are constantly pissed at me because I don't
  >> have a README file when I invoke them to create my configure file;
  >> they don't seem to understand that while I don't have one _yet_ I
  >> _will_ have one by the time my package is created.

  pe> Autoconf doesn't know about README, so at first blush this appears
  pe> to be a problem with Automake, not Autoconf.

Yes, right, that's an automake thing.  Actually, though, automake just
warns about that, which is annoying but is apparently not a big deal.

Now that's I've gotten a little farther I remember the real problem:
some of the files I want to generate are AC_OUTPUT files.  This really
throws autoconf for a loop since the .in versions don't yet exist when
the maintainer runs configure.

However, I just thought of a way around this and...

Sure enough, it works.  Very cool!  Assuming that automake continues to
just complain but not fatally about these missing files, I should be all
set.  Thanks :).

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/