Re: building/installing Python modules?

From: christoph.wiedemann
Subject: Re: building/installing Python modules?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:24:06 +0200

skip> For example, if I have this chain of dependencies:
skip>
skip>     build/lib.linux-i686-2.3/array.so
skip>
skip>        depends on
skip>
skip>     build/temp.linux-i686-2.3/arraymodule.o
skip>
skip>        which depends on
skip>
skip>     Modules/arraymodule.c
skip>
skip> (the locations of the .o and .so files are determined by distutils) and
then
skip> diddle some bits in arraymodule.c, neither .../arraymodule.o nor
skip> ..../array.so get rebuilt the next time I run make.  For the person
skip> installing one time from source this isn't a significant problem, but can
be
skip> a nightmare for a developer, especially if something more global changes
skip> like Includes/object.h...

On my system (linux 2.4, python 2.1.1), the dependency stuff works well. In
fact in the above situation,
one single 'python setup.py install' command would be enough. But i agree, that
the
build support of distutils is limited to small extension modules (if you want
to mix
extension modules with binary applications or build an application with embedded
python, the distutils support fails). However, for a python developer it has
much
less effort to use distutils, because one does only has to learn _one_ language
(python) instead of 3 or 4 for the auto* stuff.